Biograd na Moru is a town with long history, assumedly founded on the ruins of ancient Blandona, its name mentioned for the first time in the 10th century. In the 11th century it became the capital city of medieval Croatian rulers, kings and bishops, so it is not surprising that it is also known as the Croatian royal town. Since it was a parish centre of that time, King Petar Krešimir IV founded a diocese in 1050, built Benedictine monasteries for both monks and nuns, and the basilica of St John (which was the only one to survive the Venetian destruction of Biograd in 1125) and gave it royal immunity in 1060.
Biograd is also the coronation city of the first Croatian-Hungarian king Coloman and so the year 1102 marks the beginning of the union between these two countries.
The rich sacral history and tradition of the region is also evident in the early Romanesque church of St Anthony from the 13th century, Church of St Rocco from the 16th century and the Parish church of St Anastasia built in 1761. During the 13th and 14th century, Biograd was governed by the Dukes of Cetina, Bribir dukes Šubić and Vrana Templars. Hard times fell upon Biograd – until the end of the 18th century it was under the Venetian rule, suffering numerous devastations during the Venetian-Turkish wars, and being completely destroyed and burned two times (1521 and 1646). Despite this turbulent period, the sacral tradition of this town did not die and the witness to this is the Church of St Anastasia with Baroque altars built in 1761 and two small churches dating back from 1850 – churches of St Rocco and St Anthony.